living by faith
By Nehemiah Fischer
- Confidence = parresia - This word means to speak freely and has and
idea of confidence.
of parresia in Scripture:
- It is the manner in which Christ spoke which is very direct and open
speech. †John 18:20
- Confidence to present the gospel. Ephesians , Acts
- The manner in which you exalt/magnify Christ in your life.† Philippians 1:20
parresia connotes confidence in speech, it is revealed in your actions.† Titus ,
16, Revelation 3:1-6, James
- The manner in which we pray.†
- The manner in which we should be able to approach Christ at His
coming.† 1 John 2:28
- Enabled by the Holy Spirit.†
1. Fear - John
(persecution, approbation lust)
2. Guilt - 1 John 3:21 - remedied by loving in deed
and truth.† 1 John 3:18
3. Arrogance. †Itís not about proclaiming or proving confidence
but having confidence.† Habakkuk 2:4
4. False doctrine often leads to a pseudo confidence.
Parresia has a
a. Action based on Biblical faith is always rewarded!† Hebrews 11:6, James 1:25
b. A reward and salvation are 2 separate things.
2. We need endurance/hupomone to maintain confidence.† Hebrews 10:36
a. Endurance is sometimes developed through
difficulties.† Romans 5:3, James 1:3
b. Hupomone means to maintain in a course of action
regardless of the circumstances.† A basic
breakdown of the word means to abide under something.
c. Endurance is abiding under the Word of God in
difficulties and not just bearing through a difficulty.† Rev. 14:12
d. The real difficulty in this period of the church
age is that we often must persevere without the assistance of tribulation.† Revelation , 1 Peter 1:7
3. Receive what was promised.† Eternal rewards. †Overcomers of the 7 churches. 1 John 5:4
We maintain our confidence, and maintain our
rewards through living by faith.† Heb.
1. Ultimately what displeases God is not our lack of
works but our lack of trust in Him.† This
should cause a serious evaluation of our own faith.
a. Faith in the gospel.† Romans 1:16-17
b. Faith in the plan of God
c. Faith in the sovereignty of God
d. Faith in the grace of God
e. Faith in the relevance of every instruction found
in the Word of God.
f. Faith that the Holy Spirit in you is real and
fellowship is real. 2 Corinthians 13:5.
What is Biblical Christian Faith?
- Romans So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by
the word of God.
- Therefore faith does not come through
miracles and signs.
- Much of the faith found in the gospels
would not fit the category of Biblical Christian faith.
- Faith requires substance/hupostasis.† Hebrews 11:1
- is a substructure, a foundation, something that has real substance
substance is the Word of God.†
that is not grounded in the WOG is not Biblical faith.
is that by which a thing is proved.†
of reproof which makes the WOG a source of proof.† 2 Timothy 3:16
- The verb form is used of convicting someone
- The Holy Spirit enables us to put together
the Biblical evidence.† 1 Cor. 2:13
- Walking by faith and not by sight is not
blind faith. 2 Cor. 5:7
- The difference between the substance and the
evidence using Romans 8:28.
is a choice
ability to develop faith requires a willingness to believe. †John 7:17, ,
willingness to believe enables God to give you further capacity to
of heart is an unwillingness to believe.†
It also reflects an unwillingness to use the mind(noeo)
and put together(suniemi) the evidence for faith.
evidence of your faith is in your actions.†
is a gift provided by grace and received by faith.† You cannot work for grace or for a gift!† Romans 3:24,† Romans 11:6, Ephesians 2:8
cannot multiply or change Godís grace but how we use Godís grace will
impact our rewards.
2:14-26 - Having faith comes after salvation.† Salvation is received by an act of† believing.† This is shown in the gospel of John
where faith as a noun is never used.†
the faith we develop always produces action.† We always act on what we believe.†