Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wed., Nov 18, 2009
Salvation (Jn 3:3; 1 Cor 2:14; Jude 1:19); the SL (Jn 15:1-5), spiritual growth (Prov 1:20-33; Philip 3:12-14, Rev)
GOD’S COVENANTS – Part 23: The Mosaic Covenant, Part 15:
Divine Institution #1: Freedom and Capitalism
(Messiah & A.C. #269)
A. Laws of Divine Establishment (DE).
1. God has written the Law into the soul of every man and this law includes the 5 laws of divine establishment, Rom 2:14-15.
2. While God has ordained 5 laws of divine establishment for the protection and blessing of both the believer and unbeliever in society, man has a very strong evil predilection to suppress, rebel against, and pervert these principles, Rm 1:18-32.
3. Overview of the Laws of Divine Establishment.
B. Epistemology – sufficiency of Bible doctrine or relativism? 2 Tim 3:16-17.
1. The Word of God (BD) equips us for every issue in life, 2 Tim 3:16-17.
2. The issue for the pastor-teacher is to spend his entire life in developing, constructing, and teaching the Biblical view on every issue of life, 2 Tim 2:15.
3. Every believer has the right to expect to get the biblical viewpoint at church.
4. It is incumbent upon any believer who disagrees or opposes any views taught from the pulpit to develop and build the correct view from the Word of God.
5. It is critical for every believer to build his entire worldview regarding every issue of life from the Word of God.
6. Illustrations of the failure of 7 common secular epistemologies in finding Truth.
a) #1 Experience.
b) #2 Common sense.
c) #3 Philosophy.
d) #4 Pragmatism – i.e. some form of human success
e) #5 Intuition.
f) #6 Circumstances.
g) #7 Existentialism – Christian and secular in foreign policy.
7. Only Bible doctrine gives us Truth regarding freewill, marriage, family, government, and nationalism, 2 Tim 3:16-17.
8. Biggest problem today is that the post-doctrinal Christian man has been so influenced by the skeptical philosophies of the world that he no longer has confidence that the Bible can adequately guide him to Truth in all areas.
9. Since the post-doctrinal Christian has rejected the Bible for absolute authority, he necessarily turns to himself for authority and answers.
10. The skeptic Christian deep down really is a dogmatist who neither intends nor is able to defend his dogmas.
11. The post-doctrinal Christian man, having rejected the Bible for absolute authority, turns to empiricism, rationalism, existentialism with regard to the divine institutions and that is why many Christians have become socialists, communists, utilitarians, pragmatists, and Marxists who reject such things as capitalism and free enterprise.
C. Divine instution #1: Freedom and Capitalism.
1. Maximum temporal freedom has only existed and is only possible in nations which have recognized the values of private property and capitalism.
2. Private property is central to economic theory & central to economic develop.
3. Laissez-faire capitalism is the economic system that is most compatible with God’s Word, Rom 13:1-7; 1 Pet 2:14-15.
4. The Bible clearly teaches the right of private property and capitalism, Ex 20:15, 17; Mt 20:15; Acts 5:1-5.
5. In spite of the fantastic successes of true capitalism, attacks on capitalism (private property, the marketplace, individual responsibility, free enterprise) continues.
6. Socialism as an economic system is a logical impossibility.
7. Only in true capitalism is there the recognition of the sacredness of privacy, property, freedom, and life under the rule of law.
8. Only in true capitalism is there a separation of business and the state.
9. Capitalism and free enterprise is consistent with the biblical view of man.
10. Capitalism and free enterprise works best in a society which is influenced by the biblical ethic.
D. Truth & Freedom versus relativism, reversionism and loss of freedom.
1. True personal freedom is incompatible with government security.
2. The 8 building blocks of temporal establishment freedom:
a) #1, Primacy of the individual.
b) #2, Private property.
c) #3, The Protestant work ethic.
d) #4, Individual responsibility.
e) #5, Generosity.
f) #6, Rule of law.
g) #7, Federalism.
h) #8, Republicanism.
3. When man fails to orient to Truth, he will necessarily default to relativism and reversionism and his twin “gods” of personal peace and affluence.
4. In personal & national reversionism there is always a willingness to give up freedom for personal peace & affluence - as well as excuse evil for price of expediency.
5. The reversionist with his twin gods of personal peace and prosperity is always more than happy to accept any kind of authoritative government for security.
6. The Biblical truths with all their virtues, values, and absolutes demand absolute commitment, 2 Tim 4:1-18.
7. Lack of absolute commitment always results in reversionism, 2 Tim 4:10.
a) The Lord, the POG, and Bible doctrine are relativized, Mt 26:70-75.
b) Priorities are reversed, 2 Tim 4:10.
c) Life dominated by the OSN and evil, Eph 4:17-19.
d) Life of reaction and distraction, Mt 6:31-33; 1 Jn 2:15.
e) Life of FSH, 2 Tim 3:4; Ecc – contra 1 Tim 6:6-7; Philip 4:11.