Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wednesday, Sept 30, 2009
Salvation ( Jn 3:18; 16:7-12); the spiritual life (Gal 5:16), spiritual maturity (Eph 4:11-13)
GOD’S COVENANTS – Part 9: The Mosaic Covenant Part 1:
Theonomists vss Dispensationalists
(Messiah & A.C. #255)
A. Covenants and Dispensations.
1. The importance of covenants in man’s philosophical mindset.
2. The importance of dispensationalism in relation to the MC, Rom 11:25-29.
3. It is imperative for every CA believer to realize that he is not under MC.
B. Overview of the Eight Covenants of Scripture: 3 Gentile (Edenic, Adamic, Noahic) and 5 Jewish (Abrahamic, Jewish Real Estate, Mosaic, Davidic, and New).
#1: The Edenic/Creation Covenant (Gen 1:28-30; 2:15-23; Psa 8:3-9; Hos 6:7).
#2: Adamic/Redemptive Covenant (Gen 3:14-19).
#3: Noahic Covenant (Gen 8:20-9:17).
#4 Abrahamic Covenant (Gen 12:1-3, 7; 13:14-17; 15:1-21; 17:1-21; 22:15-18).
#5. Mosaic Covenant: conditional covenant for new nation, Ex 20:1-Dt 28:58. #6. Real Estate (AKA Palestinian) Covenant, Dt 29-30.
#7 Davidic Covenant, 2 Sam 7:8-17; 1 Chron 17:10-14; Psa 89; Jer 23:5.
#8 New Covenant to Israel, Jer 31:31-34; Eze 16; 36:24-28; 37:21-28.
C. Mosaic Covenant & Human Government – theonomy vss dispensationalism.
1. There are two prominent views regarding the application of the Mosaic Law to Gentile governments: theonomy and dispensationalism.
a) Theonomists are also called reconstructionists.
b) Theonomy is also known as dominion theology.
c) The ML has 3 aspects: ceremonial, moral, and civil.
d) Christ has fulfilled the ceremonial and therefore it no longer applies.
e) However, the moral and civil aspects of the ML still apply.
f) Theonomists believe that every OT law is still binding today.
g) Most theonomists are postmillennialists.
h) Most theonomists believe that the church has replaced Israel.
i) According to theonomists only the church is God’s chosen people..
3. Dispensationalism (D).
a) D believes that the ML cannot be broken down into different aspects, such as the moral, ceremonial, and civil aspects.
b) D believes that the entire ML must be accepted as a whole.
c) D believes that we are no longer under the Law of Moses.
d) D are Premillennialists: they believe that Jesus will return before the age of peace begins and that He will literally reign upon the earth for 1,000 years.
e) D also believe that God is not through with the nation Israel.
f) D recognizes that the ML was given to the nation of Israel for particular purposes and for that particular time.
D. Summary of the Six Views on Government.
1. No-government (ἀναρχος, anarchists).
2. Mosaic government.
3. Natural/family government (Plato, Aristotle).
4. Social Contract ( government gets power from the “consent of the governed,” Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau).
5. Coercive Government (Oliver Holmes )
6. Christian view of government, Roman 13.
a) Government is a divine institution.
b) The authority of government does not come from any voluntary social compact, but it derives its authority from God, Rom 13:1-7.
c) God is the source of all governmental rights and these rights are best exemplified in the powers of capital punishment and taxation, Rom 13:1-7.
d) The Christian view is that government is a necessary evil – it is not a family, a social convention, or matter of force or will to power.
e) Only the Christian view sufficiently recognizes the evil of man.
f) Unless the rights of government are given and limited by God, there is no systematic ground between anarchy and dictatorship.
g) The government’s role is solely to punish the evil & reward,1 Pet 2:13.
h) When Paul insists that every soul be subject to the powers “that be,” he is evidently removing from individual judgment any question as to a de jure.
E. The Mosaic Covenant and the Christian.
1. The Mosaic Covenant is one of the most misunderstood facets of the Bible.
2. The Mosaic Covenant was never designed for salvation or sanctification.
3. MC was designed to keep Israel as a distinction people, Lev 11; 18:3; 19:28
4. The MC was to provide a rule of life for the OT believer.
5. Mosaic Covenant was designed as a test: of obedience to the mandates, heeding the prophets, and accepting the Messiah, Dt 18:15-18; 2 Chron 36:14-16.
6. The Law of Moses was rendered inoperative with the death of JCt, Rom 7:1f. 7. Christ is the end of the Law for the Christian , Rom 10:4; Gal 2:16; 3:19.
8. The Mosaic Law was never meant to be permanent, Gal 3:19.
9. The Mosaic Law requires Levitical Priesthood, but Christ brought in a new order of priesthood according to the Order of Melchizedek, Heb 7:11-18.
10. The Mosaic Law was the middle wall of partition that was broken down with the death of Jesus Christ, Eph 2:14-15.
11. The Mosaic Law was designed merely to be a tutor or pedagogue over a minor to bring him to mature faith in the Messiah, Gal 3:23-25.
12. The Mosaic Law brought a ministration of death and condemnation and has been done away with, 2 Cor 3:2-11.
13. The Mosaic Law with all of its 613 commands stands together, Js 2:10. 14. We are now under the Law of Christ, Gal 6:2; Rom 8:2; 1 Cor 9:21.