Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wed., September 22, 2010
Preparation for Bible class: Salvation, Heb 10:10-14. Fellowship with God, 1 Cor 10:31. Spiritual maturity 1 Cor 13:11.
LIFE OF DAVID (56)
TESTING, SUFFERING, & THE SINFULNESS OF FEAR
A. The blessed life of spiritual wisdom in times of suffering.
1. Christians have been given the unique privilege of suffering for blessing, Philip 1:29, Heb 2:10; Js 1:3-4; Philip 3:10; 1 Pt 2:20-21; Acts 5:41; 1 Peter.
2. Suffering for blessing [life of wisdom] is accompanied with courage, confidence and divine peace, Jn 16:33.
3. Avoid thinking that your suffering is unique, 1 Cor 10:13.
4. Suffering/adversity is necessary to produce spiritual character, Rom 5:3-5.
5. Suffering for blessing is designed to produce eternal rewards, Rom
8:18; 2 Cor 4:16-18, Rev 2-3.
6. Only suffering can produce the attitude of Biblical humility (grace orientation) and wisdom, 2 Cor 12:7-10; Ja 1:2-4.
7. The aim of suffering is to bring you closer to Christ, Phil 4:11-13.
8. Panorama of suffering in First Peter.
a. Suffering for blessing is designed to refine and develop of your faith (living in reality of B.D), 1:6-7.
b. Suffering for blessing is designed to refine and develop your royal priesthood, 2:19.
c. Suffering for blessing is designed to refine and develop your ambassadorship, 3:14-16.
d. Suffering for blessing is designed to refine and develop your commitment to the Lord Jesus Christ, 4:12-14
e. Suffering for blessing is designed to develop greater strength, stability, and maturity in your life, 5:9-10.
B. David’s testing (1 Sam 16-19) and the first recorded instance of him moving into the sinfulness and evil of fear, 1 Sam 20:3.
1. After passing a barrage of tests, David falters and moves into the evil and sinfulness of fear, 1 Sam 20:3.
2. God has not given any believer a spirit of fear, 2 Timothy 1:7.
3. There is no fear when God is your Constant Companion and you live in the reality that He is your ever-present faithful shepherd, Psa 23; Jn 10:10-11.
4. Fear is a sign of spiritual illness— that will eventually lead to psychological and mental illness, 1 Sam 18:12; Psa 53:5; Luke 21:26.
5. Fear is caused by prioritizing & worrying about the details of life, Mt 10:29-31.
6. Fear of witnessing for Christ is a demonstration of disorientation to the POG, Jn 7:13.
7. Satan keeps people in slavery through fear of death, Heb 2:15.
8. People live in fear of being rejected, Gal 2:12.
9. Old age and fear, Ecc 12:1-7.
10. The believer should not fear the wicked, Psa 18.
11. The believer should not be afraid when he hears bad news, Isa 37:6.
12. Lack of relationship with God causes fear, Gen 3:10.
13. In times of fear, it is imperative for the believer to get his eyes on the Lord and His plan/Word instead of the problem, Ex 14:10-14.
14. The Bible commands us not to be afraid precisely because the Lord is with us and will give us divine strength, Isaiah 41:10.
15. It is through faith in the promises and realities in the Word of God that enables us to overcome our fears, Heb 11:27
16. You never need to live in fear of any person, Heb 13:6; Psa 56:3-4.
17. There is no need to fear because God is always in control and will never give you more than you can handle, 1 Cor 10:13; Philip 4:13.
18. Since God has already given us the best, we need never fear that He will ever withhold what we need to handle any difficulty, Rom 8:30-32.
19. God raises up spiritual leaders to teach His people the Word of God so they will not live in fear, Jer 23:4; Eph 4:11-16.
20. What makes fear so sinful is that it is nothing short of lack of faith and trust in God, Rom 14:23; Mt 14:30, Exodus generation.
21. God repeatedly promises to take care of you, Isa 35:4; Dt 20:1; Neh 4:14; Josh 1:9; Lk 12:24.
22. Fear can only be a blessing if it really drives you to the Lord, Gen 32:9-12; Luke 8:50; Mat 8:26; Psa 34:4; Heb 13:6; contra Gal 2:12.