Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wed., September 15, 2010
Preparation for Bible class: 1) Salvation (eternal position), 2 Cor 5:20. 2) Fellowship with God (present position), 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Cor 3:16. 3) Spiritual maturity (God’s goal for your life on earth), 2 Cor 10:3-5.
LIFE OF DAVID (54)
TRUTH AND TESTING
1. God desires truth in our innermost being—in our hearts, Job 38:36; Psa 51:6.
2. The problem: The human heart is by nature deceitful above all else; it is desperately wicked; who can understand it? Jeremiah 17:9.
3. Truth in our innermost being is not easy to achieve, and that is why very few ever really move into the blessed life of wisdom—even in the “doctrinal” camp.
4. A true lover of truth loves truth more than his earthly possessions, Psa 19:10; Prov 3:13, 8:10, 17, 16:16; Psa119:127; Prov 23:23.
5. Truth is the issue in discipleship, Jn 8:31-36.
6. Truth enables us to have victory over all false thinking, 2 Cor 10:3-5.
7. It was David’s true love for truth that enabled him to grow in his love and adoration of God and enjoy so much victory throughout his life.
8. Truth cannot be obtained apart from genuine humility—grace orientation, Psa 25:8.
9. The church is designed by God to be the pillar and foundation of truth, 1 Timothy 3:15.
10. Walking in truth is the most important issue in life, 3 Jn 1:4; vs. Jn 8:44.
11. Truth always prevails, 2 Cor 13:8.
12. In the last days, truth will be rejected and deception accepted, 2 Thess 2:7-12; 2 Tim 3:5-8; 2 Tim 4:1-4.
13. God disciplines the believer who rejects His truth, and blesses the believer who continues to conform to His truth, Js 4:4-6; 1 Pet 5:5-6; Prov 3:34; Isaiah 30:18; 1 Corinthians 2:9-10;
14. Behind all testing and suffering in life are truth issues, and all suffering will either propel you forward in the spiritual life or set you on a path of reactions, distractions, and reversionism.
15. God brings in testing and suffering to test the believer’s commitment to truth, Js 1:2-4; Psa 27:11; 37:31; Heb 11.
16. Overview of 10 major categories of testing. The issue is ALWAYS orientation to God’s truth. The goal is to have divine viewpoint in each area.
#1—Volitional testing regarding the POG: F-ship, light or darkness? 1 Jn 1:5-9.
#2—OSN testing – HS vss OSN, Gal 5:16-18; Rom 6.
#3—Cosmos diabolicus testing, distractions of the world, 1 Jn 2:14-16; Mt 6:32.
#4—People testing, 2 Cor 12:10 (“insults”).
#5—Thought testing, 2 Cor 12:10 (“distresses”).
#6—System testing, 2 Cor 12:10 (“persecutions”).
#7—Privation testing, Philip 4:11-12.
#8—Prosperity testing, Philip 4:11-12.
#9—Disaster testing, 2 Cor 12:7-10 (“difficulties”).
#10—Dying test, Heb 2:14-15; Philip 1:23.
17. Orienting to God’s Truth regarding suffering:
a. Christians have the unique privilege of suffering for blessing, Philip 1:29.
b. Suffering for blessing is accompanied with courage, confidence and divine peace, Jn 16:33.
c. Avoid thinking that your suffering is unique, 1 Cor 10:13.
d. Suffering or adversity is necessary to produce spiritual character (Rom 5:3-5).
e. Suffering for blessing is designed to produce eternal rewards, Rom 8:18; 2 Cor 4:16-18, Rev 2-3.
f. Only suffering can produce the attitude of Biblical humility (grace orientation) and wisdom, 2 Cor 12:3-7; Ja 1:2-6; 4:6.
g. The aim of suffering is to bring you closer to Christ, Phil 4:11-13.
18. Orienting to God’s Truth regarding suffering as outlined in First Peter.
a. Suffering for blessing is designed to refine & develop your faith/B.D, 1:6-7.
b. Suffering for blessing is designed to refine & develop your priesthood, 2:19.
c. Suffering for blessing is designed to refine & develop your ambassadorship, 3:14-16.
d. Suffering for blessing is designed to refine & develop your commitment to the Lord Jesus Christ, 4:12-14
e. Suffering for blessing is designed to develop greater strength, stability, and maturity in your life, 5:10.
FOR THE MOST RECENT UPDATED PRAYER LIST
go to http://fbcweb.org/Doctrines/FBCprayer.htm