Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wednesday, August, 26, 2009
Salvation (Mt 7:22-23), the spiritual life, and spiritual maturity.
LESSONS OF GOLDEN CALF
AND THE NEED FOR OUR PERFECT INTERCESSOR
(Messiah & A.C. #246)
A. The first 5 direct prophecies of the Coming Messiah.
#1 Gen 3:15, The Messiah as the Seed of the Woman- the God-Man,
#2, Gen 22:18; Gal 3:16, the Messiah will come from the line of Abraham.
#3, Gen 49:10, The Messiah will be of Judah.
#4, Numbers 23-24; 24:16-17, Messiah will be King.
#5, Dt 18:15-19, the Messiah will be like Moses.
B. The Lessons of Operation Golden calf, 1 Cor 10:1-14; 1 Jn 5:21; Col 3:15.
1. The inability of human resolve to keep the Law, Ex 24:1-7; Rom 7:14-25;
2. Apart from living and growing in the grace assets of the SL and advancing in OWC the believer will eventually move into some form of idolatry, Heb 11:24-27; Col 3:1-2; Rev 2:4, 9; 1 Jn 5:21; 1 Cor 10:14; Col 3:5.
3. Historically the majority of spiritual leaders have always given in to the wishes of God’s carnal and apostate people, 32:2.
4. Historically the majority of God’s people have always been apostate, Gen-Rev; Psa 106; Rev 2-3; 1 Tim 4:1; 2 Tim 3:1-8.
5. The greatest evil on the earth has always been religion – Christianity is not a religion, Ex 32:5.
6. Apostate religion always focuses in on human peace without the cross or Bible doctrine, Ex 32:5.
7. It is but a short distance from carnality to reversionism and idolatry – because man is a creature with proclivities toward sin and worship, Ex 32:8.
8. Spiritual degeneracy is always characterized by self-will, i.e. arrogance, 32:9.
9. Carnality and apostasy is always accompanied by divine discipline, 32:10.
10. In carnality and reversionism there is total lack of orientation to the POG.
C. Moses and our need for a mediator.
1. Moses, the typical Christ-like mediator and intercessor. Ex 32:10; Ex 14:15; 15:25; 17:4, 11; Heb 11:24-26 with Philip 2:7; 1 Jn 2:2; Jn 17:2, 9.
2. Moses as mediator appeals to the grace of God, 32:11.
3. Moses as mediator appeals to the glory of God, 32:12.
4. Moses as mediator appeals to the faithfulness of God, 32:13.
5. The faithfulness of God is always related to His Word, Heb 4:12-13.
D. Christ is our Advocate, Mediator, Intercessor, and High Priest, 1 Jn 2:2; Heb 7:25-27.
1. Christ was made like us (HU) so He could become our High Priest, Heb 2:17.
2. Because of the HU, Christ fully understands our condition, Heb 4:15.
3. Because of who and what Jesus Christ is and what He has done for us we have full access to the throne of grace, Heb 4:16.
4. Christ stands as our Advocate-Defender before the +R of God, 1 Jn 2:2.
5. Christ provides eternal salvation, Heb 7:25; Jn 10:28-30.
6. Christ intercedes for us continuously, Heb 7:6.
7. Christ is unique in His holiness (ὅσιος )– his set-apart standing to God, Heb 7:26.
8. Christ is unique in His “innocence” (ἄκακος) – freedom from evil, malice, or guile.
9. Christ is unique in being undefiled (ἀμίαντος) – without the blemish or spot of any sin.
10. Christ is unique in that He is separated from the limitations of KD, its sinful activity, as well as the limitations of earth and space.
11. Christ is unique in His exaltation above the heavens providing the perfect salvation and intercession, Heb 9:26-27.