Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wednesday, August, 19, 2009
Salvation (Mt 7:22-23; Eph 2:8-10; Rom 4:2-5), fellowship (SL), and spiritual maturity.
THE GOLDEN CALF
AND THE PROPHET/MEDIATOR MOSES
(Messiah & A.C. #245)
A. The first 5 direct prophecies of the Coming Messiah, Mat. 1:1; Jn 1:1.
#1, Gen 3:15, The Messiah as the Seed of the Woman- the God-Man
#2, Gen 22:18; Gal 3:16: The Messiah from the line of Abraham.
#3, Gen 49:10: The Messiah from line of Judah.
#4, Numbers 23-24; 24:17, Messiah is to be King.
#5, Dt 18:15-19, the Messiah will be like Moses.
B. Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of the prophecy about the Prophet/Messiah who would be “like” Moses.
1. Overview of Islam’s false claim that the prophet prophesied of in Dt 18:15 refers to Muhammad.
2. Biblical likeness to Moses: Prophet would be a Redeemer, Ex 3:10.
3. Biblical likeness to Moses: Prophet would be a mediator, Ex 20:18-21.
4. Biblical likeness to Moses: …Intercessor, Ex 32:30-32; Heb 7:25.
5. Biblical likeness to Moses: … would speak in the name of Yahweh, Dt 18:20.
6. Biblical likeness to Moses:… would not speak presumptuously.
7. Biblical likeness” to Moses: ... would speak with God face to face, Dt 34:10; Ex 33:11; Jn 17:5, 24-25, Num 12:5-8.
8. Biblical likeness to Moses: would come with signs, wonders, and mighty power, Dt 34:10-12.
9. The New Testament confirms that Jesus is the promised prophet who God raise up like Moses, Jn 1:45; :Luke 24:27, 44; Acts 3:22;
C. A Closer Look at Moses as Mediator in Operation Golden Calf.
1. Golden Calf – illustration of the depravity of man, Ex 32:1-8.
a) The impotency of human resolve, Ex 24:7.
b) The universal revolt and the –vol of the masses.
c) Demands of – volition to leaders, Ex 32:1.
d) The problem of compromising with evil.
e) Swift decay of love for God.
f) God’s displeasure, Ex 32:7.
2. The threefold prayer of Moses as mediator and intercessor.
a) Moses’ prayer for himself, Ex 33:12.
b) Moses’ prayer for his people, Ex 33:15-17.
c) Moses’ prayer and desire for the glory of God, 33:18.
D. Christ as our Advocate, Mediator, Intercessor, and High Priest, 1 Jn 2:2; Heb 7:25-27.