Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
1 John 2:28
GOD’S PROBLEM SOLVING DEVICE #10:
OCCUPATION WITH JESUS CHRIST
Part 55: MORE ON THE HYPOSTATIC UNION AND SUFFERING
(Messiah & A.C. #236)
A. Christology: understanding our unique God and Savior, JC the God-man.
1. In Christ there is one person who exemplifies two distinct and complete natures, one human and one divine.
2. Jesus Christ as the God-man is one in essence but two in natures.
3. Jesus Christ’s one essence refers to the fact that He is One Person with two natures.
4. The two natures of Christ do not refer to essence; rather, the term nature is used to demarcate certain natural kinds of things, namely true humanity and true deity.
5. There was no duality of persons in Christ: there is one hypostasis.
6. The eternal Logos as the archetypal person in whose image man is created already possesses the properties sufficient for human personhood only lacking corporeality.
7. Man is made in the image of God and thus God already has all of the properties necessary for a human being.
8. The affinity in the incarnation lies in the image of God.
9. In sanctification there is an experiential reversal of this as we are transformed into the image of God, 2 Cor 3:18.
10. Christ the one self-conscious subject who is the Logos who possessed divine and human natures that were complete.
11. Enhypostasis: Christ’s individual human nature, that body-soul composite which was the man Jesus of Nazareth, did not have its own hypostasis, that is to say it did not subsist on its own but became hypostatic only in its union with the Logos.
12. Reduplicative predication is the predicating certain properties of the person of Christ with respect to one nature or the other.
13. In the HU union we need to distinguish between active and latent attributes.
14. The locus of the latent divine attributes of the LJC are in His subliminal/subconscious self.
15. Dyotheletism finds no warrant in Scripture: there was not a separate SC-will of Jesus of Nazareth from the SC-will of the Eternal Logos.
16. Problems with the HU are not logical in nature; rather, they are due to false starting points and false presuppositions.
17. A proper understanding of the HU of the LJC elicits wonder, love, adoration and praise and enables the believer to really advance in OWC.
B. Biblical Principles on Suffering.
1. Bible explains the causes of all human suffering and reveals powerful solutions to all suffering.
2. Attitude checkup re: suffering: What you believe/accept about what the WOG says about suffering reveals more where you are spiritually than perhaps any other factor, Dt 8:5; Prov 3:11-12; Jn 9:1-3; Js 1:2-4; Acts 5:41; 2 Cor 12:9-10; Rom 5:3-5; Heb 2:10; 5:8-9; 11:4-11; 13-16; 12:1-3; Psa 119:67; Eph 1:3, 13; 1 Pet 1:6-9; 2:18-25; 4:12-19; Col 1:24; Job 13:15; Rev 3:19; Psa 66:10; Isa 48:10; Jn 15:1-8; Job 5:7; 14:1; 1 Cor 10:13; Rm 8:28-39; Rev 2-3; Psa 23:4; Hab 3:17‑19.
3. Through the SL the believer is able to triumph over suffering and parlay all suffering into tremendous spiritual momentum and fantastic blessings, Psa 31:23‑24; 55:22; Isa 43:2; Rm 8:37; 12:21; Eph 6:11‑20.
4. Suffering orients us to our capacity and the need for God’s grace, 2 Cor 12:7-10.
5. All suffering is located in one of two categories: deserved or undeserved.
a. Deserved: VR (SIM) and DD (SIN), 1 Pt 2:20a; Heb 12: 5ff.
b. Undeserved: to maturity (Js 1:2-4), to develop in maturity (2 Cor 12:7-10), and to move beyond maturity (Philip 3:14).
6. The issue is always the Word of God and the POG (Heb 4:1-13; 11:1-12:7).
C. Grasping the 5 Categories of Suffering.
#1 - VR - Gal 6:7; Hosea 8:7; Gal 6:7; Col 3:25; Prov 1-2; 12:13; 13:20; 22:8.
#2 – DD – to get the believer back to the SL/BD, Heb 12:5-11; 1 Cor 11:31.
#3 – To get the believer to maturity with all of its temporal and eternal blessings, Js 1:2-4; 1 Pt 1:6-7; Heb 5:8.
#4 – To develop the believer in maturity for greater blessedness in a profound relationship with JC - OWC.
#5 - Maximum glorification of God as a spiritual hero in the AC, (Job, David, John, Heb 11:12-3).
D. The Blessings of further development in maturity/ OWC entrance into the supergrace life, 2 Cor 12:10.
1. Divine power, blessedness & glorification of God in weaknesses (ἀσθένεια).
2. Divine power, blessedness & glorification of God in people testing (ὕβρις).
3. Divine power, blessedness & glorification of God in thought testing (ἀνάγκη).
4. Divine power, blessedness & glorification of God in system testing (διωγμός).
5. Divine power, blessedness & glorification of God in disaster testing (στενοχωρία), Lev 26:16-46.