Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
1 Tim 3:15. Salvation, Eph 2:8-10; Rom 11:6; Gal 1:8-9. Spirituality/Fellowship, 1 Jn 1:5-6, Jn 14:16-17. Spiritual growth/maturity, 2 Pet 3:18; 2 Cor 10:3-5.
LIFE OF DAVID – Part 39
VICTORY OVER DOUBT AND FEAR
A. Testing and Victory over Fear, 1 Sam 17:11.
1. Testing and suffering are vital aspects of experiential sanctification—proper understanding of this enables the believer to gain victory and experience true joy in the trials of life, Philip 1:29; Js 1:2-4; Heb 12:1-2.
2. The issue in life is not the test but our response to the test, 1 Cor 10:13.
3. Testing and the perniciousness of fear.
4. Fear is always connected to some form doubt/uncertainty and doubt comes in three major categories.
a. Factual doubt.
b. Emotional doubt.
c. Volitional doubt.
5. Mental attitude sins of fear and worry are very subtle but extremely pernicious—they can destroy your spiritual life, mental life, and psychological life.
6. There are only two basic ways to respond to the test/danger.
a. Evil human viewpoint emotional response.
b. Divine viewpoint doctrinal rationale response.
7. When the believer uses the doctrinal rationale approach he converts the problem into a problem solving situation, cf. Psa 27:1-3; Heb 11:27.
8. Failure to respond with doctrine will necessarily lead to emotional reactions to trials which can only wreak further havoc both inside the life (MAS, intropunitive & extrapunitive mental disorders) and outside of the life (decisions that can adversely affect one for the rest of life (cf. Abe and Hagar).
9. The only legitimate fear is fear of rejection of the spiritual life, Heb 4:1; 5:11-6:8; 1 Cor 11:30.
10. While initial fear is not in and of itself evil (cf. Psa. 56:3-4), to continue to live a lifestyle of fear and anxiety instead of seriously turning to God and Bible doctrine will most certainly result in increasing evil and the destruction of your spiritual life (however, there is no loss of salvation, cf. Saul).
11. It is imperative for the believer to orient to BD and the unfailing faithfulness of God and His grace—especially during times of stress and national reversionism, 1 Tim 6:6-8; Heb 13:5; 2 Tim 1:7; Rom 8:28-31; Isa 41:10; Heb 11:27; 13:6; Psa. 56:3-4; 1 Pet 5:7; Lam. 3:21-25; Heb 10:23; Psa 16:8; 27:14; Isa 26:3; 40:28-31; Philip 4:6-7.
B. David’s victory over fear and thus Goliath, 1 Sam 17:12-58.
FOR THE MOST RECENT UPDATED PRAYER LIST GO TO