Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
1 John 2:28
GOD’S PROBLEM SOLVING DEVICE #10:
OCCUPATION WITH JESUS CHRIST
Part 53: CHRIST FOR ALL PEOPLE
& SUFFERING IN THE POG
(Messiah & A.C. #234)
A. The Hypostatic Union.
1. Chalcedon’s definition of the hypostatic union is but the application of the logical laws of necessity to all of the biblical data.
2. Rejection of the authority of God’s Revelation on Jesus Christ has lead to all manner of heresies regarding the Person of Jesus Christ.
3. All heresies have one thing in common: rejection of the authority of God’s Word on the LJC because of personal issues.
4. Those who reject the Christ of Scripture due to personal issues end up destroying any capacity to move into OWC.
5. Those who build false Christologies miss out on untold grace benefits.
6. Only those who follow the biblical data have the wonderful prospect of a lifetime of growing in knowledge, love, adoration, and worship of the unique person of the universe, the God-man, the Lord Jesus Christ.
B. Orthodox doctrine of Christ: Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man; Jesus Christ is the Savior of all People for all People.
1. The Bible makes is clear that Jesus Christ is the Savior of all people and for all people, notwithstanding the fact that “Christianity” has been used to exploit women, the poor, and other races.
2. The solution to any injustice in life is never reaction, the proper response is to go back to the Word of God.
3. Christ’s respect for women – responding to “Feminist Christology.”
a) Jesus’ respect for women stood in contrast to the denigration of women by many Jews of His time.
b) Jesus went against the customs of His time by laying the blame of adultery firmly on the man, Mt 5:28.
c) Jesus granted women the right to divorce husbands, Mark 10:12.
d) Jesus often used women in spiritual illustrations in very noble and honorable ways, Mt 12:42
e) Jesus showed respect even for sexually immoral women, Lk 7:36-50; Mt 21:23, 31-32; Jn 4:1-26.
f) Jesus took the initiative to talk with women about theology, Jn 4:17.
g) Jesus held up a woman as an example of giving that far exceeded all of the giving of the religious Jews (Mk 12:41-44).
h) Jesus addressed a woman as a daughter of Abraham indicating her spiritual privileges, Lk 13:10-17.
i) Jesus respected women as students of the Word of God, indicating a rich intellectual & spiritual life that was fitting for women as well as for men, Lk 10:38-42.
j) Jesus’ acceptance and respect for women is evident from the fact that many followed Him, Lk 8:1-3.
k) Jesus appeared to women first at the resurrection and it was women who played a dominant role at the time of Jesus’ death, burial, and resurrection and are placed in a better light than His male disciples.
l) Jesus did not reinforce the common conception that the place of woman was only in the home to serve the man; they were encouraged to learn from Him just like the male disciples.
4. Christ’s view of the poor – responding to Liberation Christology.
5. Christ’s view of other races – responding to Black Christology.
C. General Principles on Suffering in the Plan of God, Philip 2:8-11.
1. The Bible not only explains suffering but reveals powerful solutions to all human suffering, Job 5:7; 14:1; Jn 16:33; 1 Thess 3:3; 2 Tim 3:12; Heb 12 :6-8; 5:8;
1 Cor 10:13; 1 Pt 2:20; 4:12; Rom 5:3;
2. God has a plan for every aspect of your life and this plan includes overcoming difficulties and sufferings, Rom 8:28‑39; Psa 23:4.
3. All suffering in the plan of God is designed for our good and His glorification, Philip 1:29; Rom 8:28-30.
4. It is imperative that every believer understand His suffering in light of the Word of God and POG, cf. Exodus generation.
5. All suffering is located in one of two categories: deserved or undeserved.
6. Under the two categories of suffering we have 5 purposes of suffering.
7. The issue is always the Word of God: no WOG/FHS = no growth; WOG/HS = gradual growth; WOG/HS + suffering = accelerated spiritual growth.
D. A Closer look at the five purposes of Suffering.
#1 – VR – to teach the believer the folly of evil, Gal 6:7; Hos 8:7; Prov 1; 2:10‑17; 12:13; 13:20; Prov 22:8.
#2 – DD – to get the believer back to the SL, Heb 12:5-11; 1 Cor 11:31.
#3 – To get the believer to maturity with all of its temporal and eternal blessings, Js 1:2-5.
#4 – To develop the believer in maturity for greater blessedness, 2 Cor 12:7-10.
#5 - Maximum glorification of God as a spiritual hero in the AC, Job 42.
E. The Blessings of further development in maturity, 2 Cor 12:10.
1. Divine power, blessedness & glorification of God in weaknesses (ἀσθένεια).
2. Divine power, blessedness & glorification of God in people testing (ὕβρις).
3. Divine power, blessedness & glorification of God in thought testing (ἀνάγκη).
4. Divine power, blessedness & glorification of God in system testing (διωγμός).
5. Divine power, blessedness & glorification of God in disaster testing (στενοχωρία), Lev 26:16-46.