Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wed., July 8, 2009
1 John 2:28
GOD’S PROBLEM SOLVING DEVICE #10:
OCCUPATION WITH JESUS CHRIST
Part 51: MORE ON THE HYPOSTATIC UNION &
(Messiah & A.C. #232)
A. The Hypostatic Union: one person with two natures, Philip 2:7.
1. To move into an understanding of our Lord’s HU is to enter into a profound awe, worship, and OW/Christ as the true Celebrity of Life.
2. Jesus Christ is One Person with two complete individual natures which are united but not mingled or confounded; the hypostatic union of deity and humanity in one person forever.
3. Consequences of the HU.
a. There is a communion of attributes in the Person of Jesus Christ.
b. The Person is the subject when the predicate is only true of the divine nature.
c. The Person is the subject when the predicate is only true of the human nature.
d. All acts of Jesus Christ are acts of His Person.
e. The HU qualifies Jesus to be the object of worship.
f. The HU makes eternal spiritual life possible for mortal man.
g. The HU results in the exaltation of the human nature of Jesus Christ.
h. Rejection of the truths and realities of the HU (doctrinal Christ ) is the reason our country is under divine discipline.
i. The world’s rejection of the doctrinal Christ will culminate with the acceptance of the Anti-Christ, Rev 11:7-10; 13:1-8; 2 Thess 2:5-12.
B. Suffering: 5 Reasons people suffer, Philip 1:29; 2:5-11.
1. Deserved: VR: self-imposed misery as a result of foolish/evil thoughts, motivations, and decisions, Gal 6:7; Hos 8:7.
2. Deserved: persistent life apart from fellowship with God, Heb 12:5-11; 1 Cor 11:28-30; Js 4:6
3. Undeserved: to get the believer to maturity, Js 1:2-4.
4. Undeserved: to further ground the believer in maturity and move him into supergrace status, 2 Cor 12:7-10.
5. Undeserved: special suffering as a witness for JC in the angelic conflict, Job, John.
C. Suffering: 5 Major Tests associated with suffering, 2 Cor 12:10.
1. Weaknesses (ἀσθένεια).
2. People testing (ὕβρις), Mt 10:34-36; 2 Cor 6:3-4-5; 1 Cor 15:33; Prov 13:20.
3. Thought testing (ἀνάγκη), Prov 23:7; Gal 6:3; Rom 12:2-3; 1 Cor 10:12; Philip 2:5-11; 2 Cor 10:4-6; Jn 8:31-32; Jn 4:24.
4. System testing (διωγμός), Prv 24:10; 1 Pet 5:5; 1 Thess 2:4; Col 3:17-25.
5. Disaster testing (στενοχωρία), Lev 26:15-46.