Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wed., June 17, 2009
2 Pet 3:18
GOD’S PROBLEM SOLVING DEVICE #10:
OCCUPATION WITH JESUS CHRIST
Part 46: THE HYPOSTATIC UNION &
THE 5 PHASES OF SUFFERING
(Messiah & A.C. #227)
A. The Hypostatic Union of Jesus Christ, Philip 2:5-8; Jn 1:1 with 1:14; Col 2:9.
1. ___ 2 Natures in One Person of JC a - Apollonarianism
2. ___ “Relationship not BD is important” b - Nestorianism
3. ___ Rejection of distinct Persons of Trinity c - Ebionism
4. ___ Orthopraxy more important than BD d - Adoptionism
5. ___ Rejection of human soul of JC e - Existentialism
6. ___ Christ had one nature f - Liberation theology
7. ___ Rejection of Anglo “Christology” g - Alexandrian logos theology
8. ___ Rejection of humanity of JC h - Process theology
9. ___ Rejection of maleness “Christology” i - Black “Christology”
10. ___ Taught 2 persons in Christ j - Monophysitism
11. ___ Christ became “divine” @ baptism k - Hypostatic Union
12. ___ Christ is mutable l - Diothelitism
13. ___ Christ is the Logos/Mind of God m - Emergent Church
14. ___ Rejection of JC as the only way n - Feminist Christology
15. ___ JC had two volitions o - Modalism
16. ___ Rejection of absolute written truth p - Tended toward monophysitism
17. ___ Rejection of deity of JC q - Universalists
18. ___ Rejection of BD/Christology r - Eutychianism
19. ___ Taught that Jesus was a god s - Postmodern deconstructionism
20. ___ Orthodox standard of HU t - Kenoticism
21. ___ Alexandrian Christology u - Monothelitism
22. ___ Antiochene Christology v - Gnosticism
23. ___ Blending of 2 natures of JC w - Chalcedonian Creed
24. ___ Taught JC had one volition z - Requires bringing together all WOG
25. ___ Biblical view of Person of JC y - Tended toward dyophysitism
26. ___ JC divested self of divine attributes z - Arianism
B. Suffering in the POG, Heb 5:8; Philip 2:5-8; Job 5:7.
1. The need for suffering (phases 3-5) to mature the perfect humanity of Jesus Christ, Heb 2:10; 4:15; 5:8; Philip 2:5-8. Isa 50:5; Lk 2:51-52;
2. The five phases of suffering for believers, cf. Psa 32:8-9.
a) Phase #1: Deserved suffering under the apodictic law of volitional responsibility, Gal 6:7; Hos 8:7.
b) Phase #2: Deserved punitive suffering for persistent carnality.
c) Phase #3: Undeserved general suffering designed for the blessing of advancing the believer out of spiritual infancy/childish thinking, 1 Cor 13:11; 2 Cor 1:3-10; Heb 2:17-18; 1 Pt 1:7; Js 1:2-4.
d) Phase #4: Undeserved specific suffering designed for the ultimate refinement of the mature believer to enable him to break all dependence upon circumstances for happiness and advance him into greater power, 2 Cor 12:7-10.
e) Phase #5: Undeserved suffering for ultimate honor and glory as a supergrace believer, Heb 11; Job 1-2; Mat 4:1-6.
C. A Closer Look at Phase 4 Undeserved Suffering, 2 Cor 12:7-10.
1. Phase 4 suffering is designed to both prevent future arrogance as well remove all vestiges of arrogance from the soul, 2 Cor 12:7-10.
2. Arrogance is the single most common, dangerous and destructive thing. 3. Phase 4 suffering is designed to break all dependence upon human resources so the believer will move into total dependence upon the grace of God.
4. In phase 4 suffering the believer realizes that prayer was never designed to replace the execution of the spiritual life.
5. In phase 4 suffering the believer finds enormous power in God as he comes to grips with the realities of his own weaknesses.
6. Phase 4 suffering enables the believer to move into unconditional contentment, i.e. + H, cf. 1 Tim 6:8; Philip 4:11-13.
7. Phase 4 unjust suffering enables the believer to have complete victory over all people testing, 2 Cor 12:10, “insults.”
a) People testing is part of life.
b) Every believer will face people testing with those he does NOT like.
c) Every believer will face people testing with those he loves.
d) Victory over people testing enables the believer to break the bondage of seeking human approbation.
e) Victory over people testing orients the believer to grace.
f) Victory over people testing enables the believer to remain calm.
g) Victory over people testing is a mark of spiritual maturity. `
h) Victory over people testing results in great mental stability.
i) Victory over people testing enables the believer to love his enemies.
j) Victory over people testing is a result of personal love for God.
k) Victory over people testing translates into the believer gaining enormous capacity for personal and romantic love.
l) Failure to pass people testing results in being a slave to others.
8. Phase 4 suffering is designed to give the believer victory over thought/stress testing, 2 Cor 12:10, “distresses.”
9. Phase 4 suffering enables to believer to gain complete victory over sufferings related unfair treatment, 2 Cor 12:10, “persecutions.”
10. Phase 4 suffering enables the believer to gain complete victory in disaster testing, 2 Cor 12:10, “difficulties.”