Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
John 8:31-32. Salvation, Rom 4:6. Spirituality, Gal 2:20; 3:1-5. Maturation, Eph 3:14-20.
LIFE OF DAVID – Part 27
FELLOWSHIP, SANCTIFICATION, AND ROMANS 6
A. David’s fellowship and sanctification, 1 Sam 16:18.
1. “… and Yahweh was with him,” 1 Sam 16:18.
2. David’s fellowship with God over a lifetime, Psa 23.
3. The treasure and power of David’s fellowship with God, Psa 16.
4. David’s fellowship with God as it relates to the Word of God, the OSN, the perniciousness of sin, and the danger of reversionism, Psa 51:5; 19.
5. David’s fellowship with God was destroyed by his pernicious old sin nature: the Traveler, 2 Sam 12; Psa 32, 51.
B. The vital doctrines for the CA believer in breaking the devastating power of the OSN are richly developed in Romans 6.
1. There are about 8 major models in Christendom on how to live the spiritual life and only one brings about the Biblical convergence of the foundational doctrines of Romans 6 with the doctrines related to the supernatural ministry of the HS (1 Cor 2-3:4; Gal 5:16-17, 22-23; Gal 2:20 w/ 3:1-5; 2 Cor 3:18).
#1) Spirituality/holiness by eradication.
#2) Spirituality/holiness by emotionalism.
#3) Spirituality/holiness by self-renunciation.
#4) Keswick spirituality/holiness.
#5) Spirituality/holiness by word of faith.
#6) Spirituality/holiness by legalism.
#7) Spirituality by reformed theology.
#8) Biblical spirituality – FHS + BD, Rom 6 + 1 Cor 2.
2. While justification salvation took care of the penalty of sin (Rom 3-5), there remains the problem of the power of sin, Rom 6:1.
3. Just as God provides for our so wonderful salvation from the penalty of sin as per justification, He also provides for our so wonderful emancipation from the power of sin through sanctification.
4. What is your attitude to your OSN? Does it line up with Romans 6?
5. Romans 6 provides us with 3 steps to breaking the power of the OSN in the Christian life - and thus move into a truly victorious life.
a) Know – know the doctrinal facts, Rom 6:6, 9.
b) Reckon – add up the doctrinal facts, Rom 6:11.
c) Present yourself to God – apply the doctrinal facts, Rom 6:13, 19.
6. Our identification with Christ means that we can now live a truly new emancipated life, Rom 6:4.
7. The power of knowing illustrated, Rom 6:6, 9.
8. The power of adding up the facts: “considering,” Rom 6:11.
9. The nature and need of presenting ourselves to God, 6:12-13.
10. The wonderful promise of emancipation, 6:14.
11. There are only two choices in life: be a slave to God or a slave to the OSN, 6:16.
12. It always comes down to conformity to Bible doctrine, 6:17.
13. The true Christian victorious life is all about sanctification, 6:19, 22.
C. Futility of trying to live the CWL by your own efforts, Rom 7:15-25.
D. Dynamics of the victorious Christian life, Rom 8:1-8.
E. The vital command to be filled with the Spirit for the fullness from the Spirit and the LJC - and a look at some of the consequences of the spirit-filled life, Gal 4:19; Eph 5:18.
1. Development of the Character of Christ, Gal 4:19; 5:22-23.
2. Life of increasing identification with Christ, - co-crucifxion and co-resurrection with Jesus Christ., Gal 2:20 3-1-5; Rom 6 ; Heb 12:2.
3. Life of increasing gratitude and worship, Eph 5:20; 1 Thess 5:18.
4. Life increasing consecration to God, the POG, & His righteousness, Rom 6; 12:1-2; Mt 6:31-33.
5. Life of increasing dedication to Truth, Bible doctrine, Eph 4:23-24; Jn 14.
6. Life of increasing sense of belonging to God, 1 Cor 6:20; 7:23.
7. Life of increasing dependence upon the power the HS, Eph 3:14-20; Gal 5:16-17.
8. Life of increasing doing your job as unto the Lord – the CCL, Eph 6:5-6.
9. Life of personal increasing illumination and guidance by the Holy Spirit, Rom 8:14, 16; Gal 5:18; Eph 3:14-20.
10. Life of increasing transformation into the likeness of God, that is progressively transformed into the likeness of God Himself, Gal 5:22-23; 1 Pt 1:16; Gal 4:19; 1 Cor 2:16; 2 Cor 3:16-18.
FOR MOST RECENT UPDATED PRAYER LIST GO TO