Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Enlightenment, Jn 8:31-32. Salvation, Jn 3:16-18. Spirituality, Rom 6:11-14. Maturity, Rev 3:21-22.
LIFE OF DAVID – Part 24
FELLOWSHIP & SANCTIFICATION
A. David, Saul, the Spirit of Yahweh, and the ambiguity of the construct case in “the evil spirit of Elohim,” 1 Samuel 16:14-16.
B. More on the key to David’s success: “The Lord is with him” – 1 Sam 16:18.
1. The phrase “God was with him” is a reference to David’s spiritual life - most notably David’s fellowship with God, his metabolization of God’s Word, and his spiritual advance to OWC, Psa 16:2; 7-8; 23; 27:8.
2. God does not want your human good, your religion, or your sacrifices. What He wants more than anything else is you – not yours but you, Micah 6:6-8.
3. Your single greatest challenge in life after salv. is walking with God.
4. Your walk with God will have a greater effect on your life than any other single factor.
5. Walking with God is a process that determines your spiritual health.
6. The believer who walks with God is one who is biblically oriented and whose top priority is God’s will in every area of life.
7. To walk with God requires that you agree with God about His plan for your life, Amos 3:3.
8. Walking with God is what sanctification is all about.
9. God will not walk with you in sin and evil and your stumbling blocks will always be in the areas of not wanting to give up lusts of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life - for a relationship with Him, 1 Jn 2:15-16.
10. Prior to salvation we all walked continuously in disobedience, in the lusts of our flesh, Eph 2:1-3.
11. Historically, even after salvation the majority of believers have CHOSEN to walk in disobedience rather than with the Lord, cf. Joshua 5:6.
12. Walking with God includes 3 critical aspects:
a) With God, Gen 5:22; 6:9; 1 Jn 1:5-9;
b) Before God, Gen 17:1.
c) After God, Dt 13:4..Philip 3.
13. The critical three steps to walking by the power of GHS, Acts 1:8.
a) #1, Quench not the Spirit, 1 Thess 5:19.
b) #2, Grieve not the Spirit, Eph 4:30.
c) #3, Walk by the Spirit, Gal 5:16.
14. A look at sanctification & HS in 1 Thess 3-4 – from sex to the daily life,
15. The CWL is about Jesus Christ living in & through the believer by means of the Holy Spirit, Gal 2:20; 3:1-5;
C. Victory over OSN – the mechanics (Rom 6), failure of human resolve (Rom 7) and the dynamics of the Spirit-filled life (Rom 8).
D. The vital command to be filled with the Spirit and a look at some of the consequences of the spirit-filled life, Eph 5:18.
1. Development of the character of Christ, Gal 4:19; 5:22-23.
2. Life of increasing identification with Christ - co-crucifxion and co-resurrection with Jesus Christ., Gal 2:20 3-1-5; Rom 6 ; Heb 12:2.
3. Life of increasing gratitude and worship, Eph 5:20; 1 Thess 5:18.
4. Life increasing consecration to God, the POG, & His righteousness, Rom 6; 12:1-2; Mt 6:31-33.
5. Life of increasing dedication to Truth, BD, Eph 4:23-24; Jn 14.
6. Life of increasing sense of belonging to God, 1 Cor 6:20; 7:23.
7. Life of increasing dependence upon the power the HS, Eph 3:14-20; Gal 5:16-17.
8. Life of increasingly doing your job as unto the Lord, Eph 6:5-6; Col 3:17-23
9. Life of personal increasing illumination and guidance by the Holy Spirit, Rom 8:14, 16; Gal 5:18; Eph 3:14-20.
10. Life of increasing transformation into the likeness of God Gal 5:22-23; 1 Pt 1:16; Gal 4:19; 1 Cor 2:16; 2 Cor 3:18.