Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
The 3 great issues of Christianity: 1) Salvation (Jn 3:16-18; Heb 10:14); 2) Spirituality/sanctification (1 Jn 2:28; 1 Cor 2:9-3:3); 3) Maturity (Acts 20:32; 2 Cor 10:3-5; Psa 23).
LIFE OF DAVID – Part 22
SANCTIFICATION SALVATION/DELIVERANCE BY THE HOLY SPIRIT
& THE MECHANICS AND CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SPIRIT-FILLED LIFE
A. Sanctification (Salvation2, temporal salvation) and the Holy Spirit.
1. Every aspect of God’s plan for your life revolves around a relationship with Him as per positional and experiential sanctification, 1 Pet 1:15-16; 1 Thess 4:3; 7; 5:23; Eph 1:4 5:25; 26; 2:10; Rom 12:1; 2 Cor 7:1.
2. Note the significance of the Holy Spirit and sanctification (fellowship) in the life of David and Saul.
3. The Bible teaches that there are two salvations: salvation1 or justification which is by faith alone apart from any works; and the other is called sanctification which is by faith and includes works of God in and through the believer; these works are produced in fellowship with God and are in obedience to faith/BD/HS.
4. There is absolutely nothing you can do to improve justification which is extrinsically and solely accomplished by JC on the Cross, Heb 10:14.
5. There are a host of responsibilities for the believer in improving and advancing sanctification for temporal salvation, cf. Eph 6:10-16.
6. Through sanctification salvation the believer is saved from the power, dominance and influences of the world, the flesh, and the devil.
7. All aspects of sanctification salvation are accomplished by fellowship with God + application of the Word of God.
8. The Bible explicitly teaches temporal salvation through the application of the Word of God, i.e. becoming a “work-doer” in sanctification temporal salvation, Js 1:21-15.
9. A few illustrations of temporal deliverance through sanctification accomplished by application of God’s Word.
a) Temporal deliverance from unjust suffering through FRD, 1 Pt 5:5-9.
b) Temporal deliverance from anxiety through biblical prayer, Philip 4:4-7; Js 4:2-3
c) Temporal deliverance from KD through right priorities, Mt 6:33; Col 3:1-3; 1 Jn 2:15-16; Heb 10:24-25; 12:1-2.
d) Temporal deliverance/salvation from the power of the osn through HS, Rom 8:1-6; Gal 5:16-17.
e) Temporal deliverance from a spiritually barren life through active fellowship with God, 1 Jn 2:28; 1 Cor 3:10-16; Rev 19:8.
B. Mechanics and Characteristics of Sanctification/Spirituality.
1. The mechanics of sanctifying ministry of the Holy Spirit ALWAYS revolve around your status (fellowship with God) faith (you; your responsibility; experiential) & BD (object of faith; content of BD), Jn 16:14; 17:17; Gal 3:1-3.
2. 1st condition of spirituality: Grieve not the Spirit, Eph 4:30.
3. 2nd condition of spirituality: Quench not the Spirit, 1 Thess 5:19.
4. 3rd condition of spirituality: Walk by the Spirit, Gal 5:16-17, 25.
5. The critical issue of consecration, initial and continual, for true sanctification, Rom 12:1-2; Romans 6:13.
6. Characteristics of spirit-filled believer as he is progressively being sanctified.
a. Life of daily increasing intimate fellowship with God.
1) Walking “with” God, Gen 5:22; 1 Jn 1:5-9.
2) Walking “before” God, Gen 17:1.
3) Walking “walking after,” Dt 18:14; Philip 3:12-14.
b. Life of increasing gratitude and worship, Eph 5:20; 1 Thess 5:16.
c. Life of increasing consecration to God, Rom 6; 12:1-2; Mt 6:31-33.
d. Life of increasing identification with Christ – co-crucifxion and co-resurrection with Jesus Christ., Rom 6.
e. Life of increasing dedication to Truth, Bible doctrine, Eph 4:23-24; Jn 14.
f. Life of increasing sense of belonging to God, 1 Cor 6:20; 7:23.
g. Life of increasing dependence upon the power the HS, Eph 3:14-20; Gal 5:16-17.
h. Life of increasing doing your job as unto the Lord – the CCL, Eph 6:5-6.
i. Life of increasing personal illumination and guidance by the Holy Spirit, Rom 8:14, 16; Gal 5:18; Eph 3:14-20.
j. Life of increasing transformation into the likeness of God Himself, Gal 5:22-23; 1 Pt 1:16; Gal 4:19; 1 Cor 2:16; 2 Cor 3:18.