Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Three critical issues in understanding pure and true Christianity: 1) Salvation, Eph 2:8-10; Titus 3:5. 2) Spirituality, Gal 3:1-5; 5:16-17. 3) Spiritual growth, Acts 20:27-32.
LIFE OF DAVID – Part 20
MORE ON THE HOLY SPIRIT, SANCTIFICATION & THE MYSTERY CHURCH AGE
A. The Vital Sanctifying Ministry of the Holy Spirit.
1. The ministry of the HS in the OT was very limited, whereas in the CA the ministry of the Holy Spirit is universal & unprecedented, 1 Sam 16:13-14 w/ Jn 7:37-39.
2. Just as there is no salvation1 apart from Jesus Christ there is no salvation2-sanctification apart from the ministry of the Holy Spirit.
3. Just as salvation1 determines your eternal destiny with reference to the penalty of sin, so salvation2 determines the rest of your life on this earth...
4. Failure of salvation2-sanctification leads to devastating consequences.
a. Failure with regard to God, Js 4:4-8.
b. Failure with regard to the spiritual life, Gal 5:16-21.
c. Failure against the world, 1 Jn 2:14-16.
d. Failure against the flesh – the OSN, Rom 7:15ff; Gal 5:17-21.
e. Failure against Satan and the angelic conflict, Eph 6; 1 Pt 5:8.
f. Failure with regard to sanctification = loser believer, Saul, Demas.
B. Closer look at what Scripture calls the Mystery Church Age.
1. The CA age began with the Advent of the HS on the day of Pentecost (33 A.D.) and terminates with the removal of the HS at the Rapture, Acts 2; 1 Thess 4.
2. Meaning and nature of the “mystery” of the church age.
3. Christians: dispensational or replacement theology?
4. Explicit Scriptural statements that CA was unknown in OT, Rm 16:25-26; Eph 3:1-6; Col 1:25-27; Mt 16:18.
5. The fact that the unique mystery CA was not known in the OT does not mean that the CA was an afterthought of God, Eph 1:4.
6. The fact that the unique mystery CA was not known in the OT does not mean that the OT did not prophecy of a time when the Messiah would bring redemption for Jews and Gentiles alike, Gen 12:1-3; Isa 49:6; Gal 4:4-5.
7. The fact that the unique mystery CA was not known in the OT does not mean that the OT did not predict a future time for Gentiles, Isa 11:10; 60:3.
8. The fact that the unique mystery CA was not known in the OT does not mean that the OT did not promise a spiritual seed of Abraham, Rm 4:13f; Gal 3:7f.
9. The fact that the unique mystery CA was not known in the OT does not mean that the OT did not predict a future New Covenant, Jer 31:31-33; Heb 8:13.
10. The fact that the unique mystery CA was not known in the OT does not mean that the OT did not promise a future preaching of the gospel, Rom 1:4.
11. The fact that the unique mystery CA was not known in the OT does not mean that the OT did not predict a coming age of grace, 1 Pet 1:10-12.
12. The fact that the unique mystery CA was not known in the OT does not mean that the OT did not prophesy of a future age, following the death and resurrection of Christ, where the gospel would be preached to Jews and Gentiles, Acts 26:22-23.
13. The mystery church age is grounded in the eternality of God, Eph 1:4, 11; Rev 13:8; 1 Pet 1:2; Rom 8:28-29.
14. The mystery church age is grounded in God’s immutability, 2 Tim 2:13; Rom 11:29; Heb 6:13-15; 17-18.
15. The mystery church age is grounded in the omniscience of God, Eph 1:11; Rom 8:29; Acts 15:17-18; Isa 40:28.
16. The mystery church age is grounded in the omnibenevolence of God, Eph 5:25; Jn 10:15.
17. The mystery church age is grounded in the omnisapience of God, Eph 3:10-12.; 1 Cor 2:8; Gen 3:15. Heb 2:14; Rom 11:20-25.
18. The mystery church age is grounded in the sovereignty of God, Isa 14:24, 27; 55:11; Mt 16:18.; Job 42:2; Rev 19:16.
19. Other names for the church: body of Christ, bride of Christ. wife of Christ, firstborn of Christ, building of Christ, a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, a royal priesthood, a chosen people, the people of God, the flock, the temple, virgin, city, possession, household, new creation, inheritance, branches.
20. The distinctive character of the church age.
21. The church age believer shares everything that Christ is and has.
C. Experiential Sanctification.
1. Every aspect of God’s plan for your life revolves around your sanctification – your set apartness to Him, 1 Pet 1:15-16; 1 Thess 4:3; 7; 5:23; Eph 1:4 5:25; 26; 2:10; Rom 12:1; 2 Cor 7:1.
2. The mechanics of sanctifying ministry of the Holy Spirit is ALWAYS faith + BD, Jn 16:14; 17:17; Gal 3:1-3.
3. Sanctification is coterminous with spirituality and spirituality is coeterminus with fellowship with God, Jn 15:1-5; 1 Jn 1:5-9; Gal 5:16-17; 22-23.
4. Various aspects of progressive sanctification.
a. Set apart to loving God, Mt 22:35-40.
b. Set apart to complete consecration to God, Rom 12:1-2.
c. Set apart to Truth, Bible doctrine, Eph 4:23-24; Jn 17.
d. Set apart to the Plan of God, Mat 6:31-33.
e. Set apart to His righteousness in grace justification, Rom 1-5.
f. Set apart to complete identification with Christ, Rom 6.
g. Set apart to belonging to God, 1 Cor 6:20; 7:23.
h. Set apart to the HS as God’s power system, Eph 3:14-20.
i. Set apart to fellowship – walking with God, Gen 5:22; 1 Jn 1:5-9;
j. Set apart to fellowship - walking before God, Gen 17:1.
k. Set apart to fellowship - walking after God, Dt 18:14; Philip 3.
l. Set apart to pleasing God – the CCL, Eph 6:5-6.
m. Set apart to being like God, 1 Pt 1:16; Gal 4:19; 1 Cor 2:16.
n. Set apart to ministry for God, Gal 1:15-16.