Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
LIFE OF DAVID – Part 18
UNDERSTANDING THE HOLY SPIRIT AND HOLINESS
Preparation for Bible Class. Salvation, Acts 16:30-31; Rom 11:29. Spirituality, Gal 5:16-17, 22-23. Spiritual maturity, Gal 4:19.
A. The Need for the Sanctifying Power of the Holy Spirit, 1 Sam 10:6; 16:13; Mat 3:16-4:11; Acts 10:38; Luke 11:13; John 14:16-17, 25-26; 15:36; Gal 5:16-22;
B. The Provision of the Holy Spirit - the Sanctifying One.
1. The HS regenerates the believer at salvation, Titus 3:5; Jn 3:3-5.
2. The HS permanently indwells the CA believer, Jn 7:37-39. 14:16-17; Jn 7:37-39; Eph 1:13; 4:30; 1 Cor 3:16; 6:19; 12:13; Eph 5:18; Gal 5:16; Rm 8:9.
3. The Holy Spirit baptizes the believer into Christ, 1 Cor 12:13.
4. The Holy Spirit seals the believer, 2 Cor 1:23; Eph 1:13; 4:30.
5. The Holy Spirit makes the believer’s body God’s temple, 1 Cor 6:16-19.
6. The Holy Spirit guards the believer’s body from demon possession.
7. The Holy Spirit came so that you would be an orphan on earth, Jn 14:17
8. The HS came to establish inside of you a divine power base, Eph 3:14ff.
9. The HS came to guarantee eternal security to the believer, Eph 1:14; 4:30.
10. The HS came to be your Personal Mentor in the areas of understanding BD, of taking doctrine from gnosis to epignosis, Jn 14:16-26; Gal 4:19; 5:22-23.
11. Only the HS can give the believer insight into the deep things of God and those fantastic personal escrow blessings, 1 Cor 2:9ff.
12. The Holy Spirit gives every believer at least one spiritual gift, 1 Cor 12:11.
13. Just as Christ is the only provision for salvation 1, the Holy Spirit is the only provision for salvation 2.
C. Understanding the Sanctifying ministry of the Holy Spirit,
1. The Holy Spirit is the only power that is strong enough to overcome our weaknesses with regard to God, the POG, and the OSN, Rom 7:15-8:6.
2. The single greatest issue for the believer is life in the Spirit, Eph 5:18; Rm 8:2.
3. It is the power of the HS which gives us capacity for OWC, Jn 16:14; Gal 3:1f
4. There are 4 categories of sins against the Holy Spirit.
a. Blasphemy – rejection of JC – by the unbeliever, Mt 12:31.
b. Lying to the Holy Spirit – being a spiritual phony, Acts 5:1-5.
c. Quenching the HS - absence of the HS in the life, 1 Thess 5:19.
d. Grieving the HS - personal acts of sin, Eph 4:30
5. The spiritual conflict between OSN & HS is over the soul, Gal 5:16-17.
a. OSN is center of your rebellion against God, Rm 7:13; Gal 5:16; Eph 4:22.
b. The OSN has two major trends driven by a lust pattern: HG and sin.
c. While the OSN is the source of temptation, volition is the source of sin.
d. When your OSN controls your soul you are carnal, 1 Cor 3:1-5.
e. When the HS controls the soul you are spiritual, Gal 5:22-23.
f. Every time you chose to sin the OSN wins the conflict, Gal 5:17.
g. No system of morality can produce spirituality.
h. Though you can lose the filling of the HS, you can’t lose indwelling HS.
i. The only way to recover from carnality is confession, 1 Jn 1:9.
6. Spirituality is an absolute & is always coterminous w/fellowship with God, Jn 15; 1 Jn 1.
7. Spiritual growth is relative – from newborn to mature adult, from being a spiritual idiot to becoming a spiritual genius.
D. The Essence of the Work of Holiness from the Holy Spirit.
1. Hebrew and Greek Terms = “set apart”
2. The believer who regularly lives under the ministry of the Holy Spirit is set apart from KD to God and as a healthy believer desires to be with God, live before God, purse after God, belong to God, be like God, is given to divine things, and wants to please God.
3. God’s plan and priority of holiness (set apartness) for believers, 1 Pet 1:15-16; 1 Thess 4:3; 7; 5:23; Eph 1:4 5:25; 26; 2:10; Rom 12:1; 2 Cor 7:1.
4. The fruit of holiness, Gal 5:22-23.
5. Holiness involves a battle against the OSN, Gal 5:16-17; Romans 8:13.
6. Apart from the ministry of HS the believer will always default to lust patterns of the OSN.
7. Self-centered divine Sugar Daddy “holiness” is not true holiness.
8. “Christian activism” is not true holiness.
9. True holiness involves transformation through consecration to God.
10. The context of holiness is justification through Jesus Christ.
11. The root of holiness is cocrucifxion & coresurrection with JC, Rom 6.
12. The Agent of holiness is the Holy Spirit.
13. The experience of holiness includes conflict, Rom 7:15ff
14. The standard of holiness is Bible doctrine, TRUTH, Eph 4:23-24.
15. The heart of holiness is PLG & SL toward man, Mt 22:35-40; 1 Cor 13:1f
16. The power of holiness is deliverance from the power of sin.
17. The essence and mechanics of holiness in the Spirit-filled life – walking by the Spirit, being guided by the Spirit, and keeping in step with the Spirit and living in the Spirit, Rom 8:12-14; Gal 5:16-18, 22-23, 25; Eph 2:10; Titus 2:11-12; Eph 4:21-24; Heb 12:14; Psa 15:1-2; 2 Tim 2:21.
18. It is HS who provides the spiritual dynamics that advances the believer into OWC and into the life beyond what you can ask or imagine, Jn 16:12-15; Eph 3:14-20.