Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Preparation for Bible Class: Understanding Pure Christianity.
1. Salvation is 100% pure grace received by faith alone in Christ alone + 0% works - period! Ephesians 2:8-10
2. Fellowship with God & Pure Biblical Spirituality, Jn 13:6-10; 1 Cor 2:9-12.
3. True Christian Spiritual maturity, Rom 12:1-2.
LIFE OF DAVID – Part 15
THE WONDERFUL MINISTRY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT –
THEN AND NOW – the OT & the Church Age
A. True greatness and personal love for God, 1 Sam 16:7-12.
1. The nature and need for personal love for God, Acts 13:22; Mat 22:37; Js 2:23; 4:4.
2. The great enemy of personal love for God is love for kosmos diabolicus, 1 Jn 2:15-16; Js 4:4-6.
3. Personal love for God is always accompanied by love for His Word – which reveals the Person, Work, and Plan of God, Jn 14:23-24; Psa 19:7-14.
4. The release of all of those fantastic escrow blessings are contingent upon the believer moving into the category of personal love for God, 1 Cor 2:9; Rom 8:28; 1 Sam 16:1; 7; 2 Sam 7:8.
5. True greatness is never on the outside; it is on the inside; it is not in what you have but what you ARE! 1 Sam 16:7-13; Prov 23:7.
6. The more doctrine you have in your heart (= epignosis doctrine) the more capacity you have for God, personal love for God, and capacity for all of life.
B. 1 Sam 16:13, understanding the ministry of the Holy Spirit – then and now: in the OT and the New.
1. There is a huge difference between the ministry of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament and the New Testament, Jn 7:37-39; 14:17; 16:12-15; Eph 4:30; 1 Cor 3:16; 6:19; Psa 51:11.
2. In the OT the HS revealed God’s Truth to believers both by direct communication and/or distilled insight, Num 24:2; 2 Sam 23:2; 2 Chron 12:18;
15:1; Neh 9:30; Job 32:8; Isa 61:1-4; Eze 2:2; 11:24; 37:1; Micah 3:8; Zech 7:12; 1 Pt 1:11.
3. In the OT the HS guided believers in God’s Truth, Neh 9:20; Psa 143:10; Isa 48:16; 63:10-14; Heb 3:7
4. In the OT the HS equipped believers for leadership, Gen 41:38; Num 11:17; 27:18; Dt 34:9; 1 Sam 11:10, 11:6; 19:20-23; 1 Sam 16:13; 2 Kings 2:9-15.
5. In the OT the HS equipped believers with skill and strength for certain creative achievements, Ex 31:1-11; 35:30-35; 1 Kings 7:14; Hag 2:5; Zech 4:6.
6. The ministry of the HS in the OT was very limited and conditional and could be removed if the believer fell into reversionism, 1 Sam 16:14; Psa 51:11.
7. The powerful yet limited ministry of the HS in the Old Testament dispensation became operational through the FRL (Heb 11; Zech 4:6; Num 27:18).
8. IN the OT dispensation further enablement from the Spirit could be received by praying for the Holy Spirit, 2 Kings 2:9-10; Luke 11:13.
9. Before the CA, Christ sent the Spirit upon the disciples for this further enablement to sustain them for 50 days - until the day of Pentecost, i.e. the beginning of the Church Age, Jn 20:22.
10. Once the church age began, every believer is permanently indwelt by the God the Holy Spirit, Jn 7:37-39. 14:16-17; 1 Cor 3:16; 6:19-20; Eph 5:18; Gal 5:16; 1 Cor 12:13; Eph 1:13; 4:30; Rom 8:9.
11. The Holy Spirit is given to the CA believer to be His personal Mentor in the areas of understanding BD, of taking doctrine from gnosis to epignosis for the impartation of wisdom, and of producing the character of Christ inside the believer, Jn 14:16-26; Gal 4:19; 5:22-23.
12. The Holy Spirit was given to the CA believer as a down payment, a pledge for the assurance of salvation, a guarantee for future phenomenal blessings as well as a foretaste of the future eternal life, Eph 1:14.
13. The Holy Spirit was given to create the Temple inside of us for Christ,
Rom 8:8-10, 1 Cor 3:16; 6:19-20; 2 Cor 6:16.
14. The Holy Spirit was given to the CA believer so that He might know the deep things of God, 1 Cor 2:9ff.
15. The Holy Spirit was given to the CA believer to enable him recall and understand BD, spiritual phenomenon and thus be able to advance into OWC and glorify Jesus Christ through all of the details of life, Jn 16:13-14.