Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Preparation for Bible Class: Understanding Pure Christianity.
1. Salvation is 100% a work of God received by faith alone in Christ alone, Rom 3:9-28; 4:4-5.
2. Pure Biblical Spirituality, 1 Cor 2:9-12.
3. True Christian Spiritual maturity, Rom 12:1-2.
LIFE OF DAVID – Part 14
PERSONAL LOVE FOR GOD
A. God’s examination of man’s heart and the issue of personal love for God with its connection to escrow blessings, 1 Sam 16:7; 1 Cor 2:9; 2 Chron 16:9.
1. The importance of understanding the true essence and the manifold wonders of God’s love, Jn 3:16; 1 Jn 4:19; 2 Cor 5:14.
2. God’s love is inviolable & inviolably connected with all of His other attributes.
3. Two aspects of God’s love: Personal (conditional, object dependent love, attraction love). Impersonal love (subject dependent, virtuous, unconditional love).
a. Personal love – object dependent love.
b. Impersonal unconditional virtuous love, Jn 3:16; Rom 5:8
4. The believer is commanded to have the same kind of love as God, 1 Jn 4:19-20; Mat 22:37.
5. While every believer begins with a certain appreciation for God’s love and salvation but this in and of itself is not personal love for God.
6. Personal love for God is loving God for Who and What He is regardless of what is going on in your life; whereas “love” of God for only what He has done for you is at best a “baby” love - certainly it does not qualify as personal love for God.
7. Personal love for God (PLG) is only possible in spiritual maturity.
8. PLG requires knowing Him personally as He is revealed in Scripture.
9. It is in the first stage of spiritual maturity that the believer really moves into personal love for God, and when he walks through that door he enters into a totally new realm of motivation, spiritual self-esteem, and spiritual dynamics, Gal 2:20; 2 Cor 5:14.
10. In PLG, the believer takes a significant step out of ignorance and arrogance.
11. Apart from advancement into personal love for God, the believer will become a loser – void of true divine motivation in life, he will live a distracted life punctuated by approbation lusts, low self-esteem, and false motivations.
12. PLG is only possible through Bible doctrine in the soul functioning in the stream of consciousness under the consistent ministry of the Holy Spirit, 1 John 2:5.
13. God causes all things to work out for “the good” for those who have moved into the category of having personal love for God, Rom 8:28.
14. PLG enables the believer to pass the various tests of life necessary to receive eternal rewards, Js 1:12; 1 Pt 1:8.
15. PLG keeps the believer moving forward in the spiritual life regardless of the vicissitudes of life.
16. In the end times, God tells us that most Christians will pick love of self and things of the world over PLG – all the while holding to a form of godliness, 2 Tim 3:2ff.
17. Love for the kosmos diabolicus always destroys PLG, 1 Jn 2:15-16.
18. Personal love for God is always accompanied by love for His Word – which reveals the Person, Work, and Plan of God Himself, Jn 14:23-24.
19. The release of all of those fantastic escrow blessings are contingent upon moving into the category of having personal love for God, 1 Cor 2:9; 1 Sam 16:1; 7; 2 Sam 7:8.
20. True Greatness is never on the outside – it is on the inside – it is not in what you have but what you are! 1 Sam 16:7-13.
B. 1 Sam 16:13, Understanding the vital ministry of the Holy Spirit - then & now.
1. There is a huge difference between the ministry of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament and the New Testament, Jn 7:39; 14:17; 16:12-15; Eph 4:30; Psa 51:11.
2. The ministry of the HS in the OT was very limited.
3. The ministry of the HS in the OT could be removed if the believer moved into reversionism whereas in the CA, the HS never leaves, 1 Sam 16:14; Psa 51:11; Jn 14:16.
4. The limited ministry of the HS in the Old Testament dispensation became operational through the FRL, Heb 11; Zech 4:6; Num 27:18.
5. Further enablement from the Spirit could be received by praying for the Holy Spirit, 2 Kings 2:9-10; Luke 11:13.
6. Christ sent the Spirit upon the disciples for this further enablement to sustain them for 50 days until the day of Pentecost, Jn 20:22.
7. Once the church age began, every believer is permanently indwelt by the Holy Spirit, Jn 7:37-39. 14:16-17; 1 Cor 3:16; 6:19-20; Eph 1:14; 4:30.
8. The Holy Spirit is given to the CA believer to be His personal Mentor in the areas of understanding BD - of taking doctrine from gnosis to epignosis for the impartation of wisdom, Jn 14:16-26.
9. The Holy Spirit was given to the CA believer as a down payment, a pledge, for the assurance of salvation and also of phenomenal blessings, Eph 1:14.
10. The Holy Spirit was given to create a temple for the indwelling of JC, Rom 8:8-10, 1 Cor 3:16; 6:19-20; 2 Cor 6:16.
11. The Holy Spirit was given to the CA believer so that the believer might know the deep doctrines of God, 1 Cor 2:9-16.
12. The Holy Spirit was given to the CA believer so that the believer could understand BD - so the believer could move into OWC and glorify Christ, Jn 16:13-16; 1 Cor 2.