Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Sunday, April, 11, 2010
LIFE OF DAVID – Part 12
THE NATURE & NEED OF SUPERGRACE IN REVERSIONISTIC TIMES
A. Preparation for Bible Class:
1. Salvation: 100% a work of God, Jn 3:16, 3:36; Eph 2:8-10; Rm 11:6.
2. Biblical Spirituality, Gal 5:16-23.
3. Biblical Spiritual maturity, Eph 4:12-16, 1 Cor 3:1-4.
B. 1 Samuel 16:1, 13, Understanding the distinctions between logistical grace and super (μέγας) grace.
1. God has a great desire to bless you above all you could ask or imagine, 1 Sam 13:13-14; Psalm 78:70-72; 2 Sam 12:8; 1 Cor 2:9-12; Eph 3:20; 3 Jn 1:2; Js 4:6; Isa 30:18; Jn 17:13.
2. Understanding the distinction between logistical grace and supergrace,
a. Supergrace is taken from the two Greek words μέγας + χάρις .
b. Supergrace (megagrace) refers to the greater grace blessings personally deposited for you in eternity past into your own personal escrow account, Eph 1:2-3; 1:18; 1 Cor 2:9; 1 Sam 13:13; 2 Sam 12:8.
c. The greatest enemy and destroyer of grace, Christianity, and true spirituality has always been and will always be pride.
d. We all come into the world spiritually dead with different flaws but behind all of the flaws is the root of arrogance, Jn 8:44; Eph 2:1-3.
e. Logistical grace does nothing to address those flaws or our arrogance.
f. As great as logistical grace is, it is nothing compared to the fantastic grace blessings of supergrace.
g. Only through the filling of the Holy Spirit and growth in divine viewpoint of Bible doctrine can the believer live and advance in supergrace.
h. Only through the execution of the spiritual life can the believer dismantle, remove, and eradicate the pernicious pride that bars him from advancing in greater grace and the greater grace blessings.
i. What emerges as pride is eradicated through the execution of the spiritual life is spiritual self-esteem; pride and arrogance are displaced by spiritual self-esteem, 1 Sam 17:28-32
C. 1 Sam 16:2, the spiritual life in times of national reversionism.
1. When a country is suffering under the five cycles of discipline it is imperative that the believer makes sure he keeps his focus on the spiritual life, Rom 12:1-2, 13:1-7; 1 Pet 3:15; Philip 2:14-15.
2. Your spiritual life is more important than your nation.
3. By the execution of the SL you will actually be in a position, not only to give Hope to the suffering, but also be the basis for deliverance of your nation, Mt 5:13.
4. Characteristics of a rev nation under the heavy hand of God, Hosea 4:6-10.
5. Overview of divine discipline in national reversionism.
a. Cycle #1, Lev 26:16-17: terrorism, disease, enemies profit of economic collapse, fear in a nation, enemies begin to exercise control.
b. Cycle #2, Lev 26:18-20: increase in the above, further economic devastation, destruction of “pride of power.”
c. Cycle #3, Lev 26:21-22: increase in violence in society and home.
d. Cycle #4: Lev 26:23-26: military defeat, economic collapse.
e. Cycle #5: Lev 26:27-38: destruction of the nation, “I will lay waste your cities…I will scatter you among the nations…you will perish among the nations, and your enemies’ land will consume you.”
6. Unless you have a healthy spiritual life you will live in anxiety, stress, and fear as economic and governmental hardships make their way into your life, 1 Sam 16:2.
7. The believer who continues to put his priority on the spiritual life in rev times will benefit from enormous spiritual acceleration as his faith is refined and there is a release of his escrow blessings, cf. David.
8. Fear, worry, or anxiety do absolutely nothing to help anything and what is worse is that all worry is evil thinking, the opposite of the FRL, Rm. 14:23.
9. The solution to worry and anxiety is found in the faith-rest life, Isaiah 26:3-4; Psa 56:3-4; 1 Pet 5:7; Philippians 4:6-9.
10. The key to the success of the Faith-Rest system lies in the validity of the object of our faith, the Word of God – not in the act of faith itself.
11. Fear and worry unlock any evil doors and plummets the believer into reversionism very quickly, Jer. 44:16; Ezek 4:15-17,12:18-19, Isa 57:11; Ps 38:18;
Rom 14:23; Matt. 6:25‑34; Matt 13:22; Luke 8:14.
12. Fear & worry cannot coexist with the POG, Psa 56:3-4; 2 Tim 1:7; Ex 20:20;
13. Fear and worry eliminate a personal sense of destiny, so that the loser believer cannot overcome emotional sins like fear, worry, anxiety, guilt, denial.
14. For the believer, fear is failure to learn and apply Bible doctrine.
15. The POG is designed to remove fear and replace it with confidence in doctrine, which leads to confidence in the Lord, 2 Tim, 1:7.
16. Fear is a sign of reversionism. 1 Sam 18:12,29, 28:20.
17. Fear is prohibited in the grace plan of God. Deut 31:6,8; Josh 8:1; 1 Chr 28:20; Isa 41:10; 2 Tim 1:7.
18. Maturity is characterized by courage, Ps 3:6, 56:3, 11; Heb 11:27.
19. The more things you surrender to fear, the more things you fear.
D. 1 Sam 16:3-12, God’s selection of supergrace believer David during times of national reversionism.
1. Jesus Christ is in control of history and is ALWAYS working behind the scenes, 1 Sam 16; Rm 13:1; Heb 1:3; Col 1:16.
2. Reversionistic people are always stupid when it comes to picking a leader – or for that matter picking anything else, 1 Sam 16:7; 1 Cor 3:1-5.
3. Only God’s promotions are true promotions - if God does not promote you then you are not REALLY promoted, 2 Sam 7:8.
4. True Greatness is never on the outside – it is on the inside – it is not in what you have but what you ARE! 1 Sam 16:6-7.