Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Wednesday, Jan 20, 2009
Salv/justification (Gen 15:6; Rom 3:21-27; Gal 2:15-16); SL/sanctification (Gl 5:17), SM/maturation (Rv 3:21).
How the Roman State-Church Destroys Government, Free-enterprise, & Liberty
A. The Machinations of the Roman State-Church.
1. Some of Roman Catholicism’s core doctrinal beliefs are orthodox.
2. The great heresies in the Roman Catholic State-church is not in these core doctrines, but in the paganism she added to those core doctrines, cf. Gal.; Rev 17; 2 Cor 11:14; 1 Tim 4:1-3.
a. Worship of graven images.
b. Spiritual and state totalitarianism.
c. Papacy: the infallible the Holy Father, the Vicar of Christ..
d. Specialized class of priests.
f. Prayers to the saints.
g. Anti-Christ religionism.
h. No assurance of salvation.
i. Spiritual prostitution, Rev 17; Js 4:4-6.
j. Despite its chameleon nature, its syncretistic paganistic nature remains unchanged to this day.
3. Picture of RC life and RC society under the Roman State-church at the dawn of the Reformation – a few minutes before noon on Oct 31, 1517.
4. Modern machinations of the RCC and how RC is destroying America.
5. RCC’s unbiblical and perverted view of “justice.”
6. A look at how far we have moved away from constitutionalism and capitalism and into collectivism and lawlessness, cf Davy Crockett.
B. The Reformation transformation of society and government through Bible doctrine (Scripturalism).
1. The transforming power of concepts of righteousness through grace as it swept through society.
2. The priesthood of all believers brought out new ideas of equality and democracy.
3. The focus on the Bible brought new ideas of constitutionalism.
4. It was the transfer of authority from the Roman State-church to the Bible and laws of DE that brought about enormous religious INDIVIDUAL liberty throughout societies.
5. Renewal of the rule of law sparked the free market system and prosperity.
6. A totally new civilization came about from the one doctrine of justification by faith - which also proved to be the death knell of Roman Catholicism in all of those societies which accepted the Word of God.
C. Government, statism, statolatry, and loss freedom.
1. True personal freedom is incompatible with government security.
2. Statolatry is one of the most pernicious evils for modern man to overcome.
3. In statolatry man looks to government as his god and is willing to give up freedom for temporal security.
4. The 8 Biblical building blocks for temporal freedom in any state:
a) #1, Primacy of the individual.
b) #2, Private property.
c) #3, The Protestant work ethic.
d) #4, Individual responsibility.
e) #5, Generosity.
f) #6, Rule of law.
g) #7, Federalism.
h) #8, Republicanism.
5. When man, believer or unbeliever, fails to orient to Truth, he will necessarily default to relativism and reversionism with his twin “gods” of personal peace and affluence.
6. In personal & national reversionism there is always a willingness to give up freedom for personal peace & affluence - as well as excuse evil for price of expediency.
7. The reversionist with his twin gods of personal peace and prosperity is always more than happy to accept any kind of authoritative government for security – just as long as it means security for his personal peace and prosperity.
8. The Biblical truths with all their virtues, values, and absolutes demand absolute commitment, 2 Tim 4:1-18.
9. Lack of absolute commitment always results in rever., 2 Tim 4:10.
a) The Lord, the POG, and BD are relativized, Mt 26:70-75.
b) Priorities are reversed, 2 Tim 4:10.
c) Life dominated by the OSN accompanied w/degen. – Eph 4:17-19.
d) Life of reaction and distraction, Mt 6:31-33; 1 Jn 2:15.
e) Life of FSH, 2 Tim 3:4; Ecc – contra 1 Tim 6:6-7; Philip 4:11.
D. Massive reversionism in the last days of the Church Age: lawlessness and rejection of Truth, 2 Thess 2:3, 7.
1. Lawlessness, 2 Thess 2:3, 7.
2. Religious ascetic reversionism, 1 Tim 4:1-3.
3. Rejection of the Person and Work of Jesus Christ, 2 Pet 2:1-3
4. Religious hucksterism, 2 Pet 2:15.
5. Denial of the return of Jesus Christ, 2 Pet 3:3-4.
6. Hedonistic, narcissistic, emotional, “religious” Christianity, 2 Tim 3:1-5
7. Rejection of sound doctrine, 2 Tim 4:3-4.
8. Self-confident in self-improvements and attainments, Rev 3:15-16.