Pastor-teacher Don Hargrove
Faith Bible Church
Sunday, Jan 10, 2009
Salvation (Romans 1-4; 3:25); SL (Rom 7:18; Gal 5:16-18), SM (Rom 12-16; Rev 3:21)
GOD’S COVENANTS – Part 30: The Mosaic Covenant, Part 22:
Bible Doctrine, Economics and Biblical self-interest
(Messiah & A.C. #276)
A. Epistemology, Scripturalism, Bible doctrine, Bible Study and the SL.
1. Only the Bible is the Word of God and only through BD do we have the whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for God’s own glory, man’s salvation, the spiritual life, spiritual growth, and the axioms necessary for a veridical worldview for all the issues of life, Jn 10:35; 2 Tim 3:16-18; 2 Pet 1:20-21; Acts 20:27, 32.
2. Epistemology. Bible doctrine is far superior to all forms autonomous human “knowledge” which is rife with the errors of empiricism, rationalism, and intuition.
3. Bible doctrine is the systematic and logical arranging, connecting, and developing of the axioms and theorems of God’s infallible Word from the original languages into a complete rational non-contradictory systematic veridical system.
4. Bible doctrine edifies the believer in both his priesthood as well as ambassadorship, Rom 12:1-2; Mt 5:13.
5. Without Bible doctrine there cannot be any true development of maturity of the priesthood with all of its blessedness and blessings, 2 Pet 1:2-11.
6. Without Bible doctrine there can be no veridical development with regard to the maturity of the believer in his ambassadorship to the world, Mt 5:13; 2 Cor 5:18.
7. Due to lack of Bible doctrine in contemporary Christianity, believers have moved into existentialism, devotionalism, and anti-intellectualism.
8. The believer who uses the Word of God primarily for emotionalism, self-centeredness, spiritual narcissism, personal blessings, will fail to integrate BD into all areas of life and end up with a syncretistic sensate life that is not only incapable of moving into personal love for God, or the abundant promised life with all of its escrow blessings, but what is worse: will cause God’s name to be blasphemed cf. Rm 2:24.
9. Bible doctrine is the only hope for the crisis of our age of irrationality with its skepticism regarding man knowing Truth – knowling anything with certainty.
10. Christianity/BD claims exclusivity to Truth, Jn 14:6; 8:32; 17:17.
11. Without BD, the church is defenseless, impotent, and paganistic as it blabs on about mysteries, contradictions, and celebrates its sensate and existential “worship” and becomes irrelevant as far as addressing such things as economics, politics, ethics, philosophy or anything that addresses and preserves society, Mt 5:13.
12. Without BD, there is no full knowledge regarding salvation, eternal security, the mechanics of the spiritual life or anything else about the POG.
13. The rejection of BD is always accompanied by man exchanging Truth for the lie: this lie is found in man’s creation of his own standards by which he judges what is right and just before God, self, and others.
B. Bible doctrine and government.
1. BD reveals that the government is a necessary evil designed only to punish the evil and reward the good, Rom 13:1-7.
2. The Word of God reveals and history universally confirms the fact that Big Government has always been the greatest enemy of mankind (1 Sam 8)
3. Our Founding Fathers understood the basic depraved nature of man and the need to curb man’s power in government through republicanism and federalism.
C. Bible doctrine and history of economics.
1. Due to passive and active rejection of Bible doctrine regarding economics, Aristotelian economics supremely the world until about 1870 A.D. 5 principles:
2. In our modern period Kark Marx’s economics rules the East while John Maynard Keynes’ economics rules the West.
3. Karl Marx and socialism.
4. John Maynard Keynes’ (anti-Christian-virtue) economics.
D. The Bible promotes laissez-faire capitalism and yes: TRUE self-interest.
1. Man looks out for his own true self-interest not because he is sinful but because he is a rational being.
2. It is sin that causes man to thinkincorrectly about histrueself-interest.
3. The Word of God appeals to man’s self-interests with threats as well as rewards, Gen 25:32; 1 Sam 12:19-21; Prov 10:2; 11:4; Jer 2:11; Mt 5:29-30; 6:19-21; Mark 8:36; Gal 6:6-9; Rom 9:13; 1 Cor 9:24-27; 13:3; Col 3:23-25; 2 Tim 2:11-13; 4:8; Heb 12:2; 1 Jn 2:28; Rev 2:17; 3:21; 22:12
E. Bible doctrine, government and true justice, Rom 13:1-7.
1. Definition: rendering impartially to everyone his due in proper proportion according to the norm of God’s moral law.
2. There is absolutely nothing “just” about equal distribution of property.
3. The Bible clearly teaches the divine right of private property and therefore supports capitalism, Ex 20:15, 17; Mt 20:15; Acts 5:1-5.
4. Laissez-faire capitalism is the economic system that is most compatible with axioms of divine revelation set down in God’s Word.
5. It was the rise of Laissez-faire capitalism through BD of the protestant work/life ethic that brought the world the most fantastic temporal freedom and blessings.
6. In spite of the fantastic success of true capitalism, attacks on capitalism continue at a fever pitch.
7. Socialism is not only a reversionistic economic policy, it is an impossibility.
8. Only in true capitalism is there the recognition of the sacredness of privacy, property, freedom, and life under the rule of law.
9. Only in true capitalism is there a separation of business and the state.
10. Capitalism & free enterprise are consistent with the biblical view of man.
11. Capitalism & free enterprise work best in a society which is influenced by the biblical ethic.
F. Government, Statolatry, and the loss of temporal freedom.
1. True personal freedom is incompatible with government security.
2. Statolatry is one of the most difficult evils for modern man to overcome.
3. In Statolatry man looks to government as his god and is willing to give up freedom for temporal security.
4. The 8 Biblical building blocks for temporal freedom:
a) #1, Primacy of the individual.
b) #2, Private property.
c) #3, The Protestant work ethic.
d) #4, Individual responsibility.
e) #5, Generosity.
f) #6, Rule of law.
g) #7, Federalism.
h) #8, Republicanism.
5. When man, believer or unbeliever, fails to orient to Truth, he will necessarily default to relativism and reversionism, with his twin “gods” of personal peace and affluence.
6. In personal & national reversionism there is always a willingness to give up freedom for personal peace & affluence - as well as excuse evil for price of expediency.
7. The reversionist with his twin gods of personal peace and prosperity is always more than happy to accept any kind of authoritative government for security – just as long as it means security for his personal peace and prosperity.
8. The Biblical truths with all their virtues, values, and absolutes demand absolute commitment, 2 Tim 4:1-18.
9. Lack of absolute commitment always results in reversionism, 2 Tim 4:10.
a. The Lord, the POG, & Bible doctrine are relativized, Mt 26:70-75.
b. Priorities are reversed, 2 Tim 4:10.
c. Life dominated by the OSN , Eph 4:17-19.
d. Life of reaction and distraction, Mt 6:31-33; 1 Jn 2:15.
e. Life of FSH, 2 Tim 3:4; Ecc – contra 1 Tim 6:6-7; Philip 4:11.
G. Massive reversionism in the last days of the Church Age: lawlessness and rejection of Truth, 2 Thess 2:3, 7.
1. Lawlessness, 2 Thess 2:3, 7.
2. Religious ascetic reversionism, 1 Tim 4:1-3.
3. Rejection of the Person and Work of Jesus Christ, 2 Pet 2:1-3
4. Religious hucksterism, 2 Pet 2:15.
5. Denial of the Return of Jesus Christ, 2 Pet 3:3-4.
6. Hedonistic, narcissistic, emotional, “religious” Christianity, 2 Tim 3:1-5
7. Rejection of sound doctrine, 2 Tim 4:3-4.
8. Self-confident in self-improvements and attainments, Rev 3:15-16.